- License Plate Bar with built-in radar sensors
- High accuracy digital microwave radar technology
- Interior audible and LED indicator alerts
- GPS unit for speed sensing
- License Plate Bar is IPX6 and IPX7 rated
- LED indicators with pre-installed silver color covers (black covers also included)
- 3-year limited warranty
The Pioneer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD) SDA-BS100 is designed to assist in detecting vehicles entering your vehicle’s blind spot zone*. While driving, the system detects objects entering your blind spot zone around the rear of your vehicle and in the lanes on the left and right of the vehicle with an approximate detection range of up to 50 feet. When you’re slowly backing out of a parking spot or driveway, cross traffic approaching from your left or right entering your blind spot zone will activate the buzzer and the LED indicator(s) to signal the direction of approaching vehicles and warn the driver.
GPS Antenna Included
The SDA-BS100 comes with a GPS antenna, which is used to calculate your vehicle’s moving speed. On startup, it may take up to 2 minutes to engage; once engaged, both LED indicators will flash twice to indicate the GPS system has been activated. There are 4 speed sensing thresholds. The factory default is set to detect and warn at threshold speeds at or above 20-mph. At speeds under the 20-mph threshold, objects will not be detected.
License Plate Bar Installation
Installation requires the License Plate Bar be positioned horizontal to the road for effective detection. Mounting wedges are provided to achieve the horizontal position when needed. The SDA-BS100 License Plate Bar must be installed on the center rear of the vehicle for sensor detection to function properly. For this reason, license plates designed towards the right or left side of the vehicle are not suited for the SDA-BS100. Because license plates may vary in configuration from state to state, the SDA-BS100 can be mounted above or below the license plate.
IPX6 and IPX7 Rating
The SDA-BS100 License Plate Bar with built-in microwave sensors has an IPX6 and IPX7 rating. However, the Control Unit is not waterproof and requires installation inside the vehicle.
Blind Spot Reading Accuracy
Situations which may affect the SDA-BS100’s reading accuracy include
- When metal objects are in the direct path of the sensing signal.
- Weather such as heavy rain and snow, and icy road conditions, which can cause changes in sensitivity.
- Gravel roads, which may cause interference due to dust, debris, or foreign objects.
Blind Spot’s Effectiveness
The SDA-BS100 may be compromised in its effectiveness
- When towing or when a permanent trailer is attached.
- On vehicles with metal obstructions in front of the license plate, such as a spare tire mount, rear bike racks etc.
- Where standard license plates are mounted on the right or left side of the vehicle (Center Installation Required)